Sunday, April 12, 2020

With in a Whisper of Angels


Within a Whisper of Angels

Sunday morning, one o'clock, extreme pain,
upper left arm, I remember reading such pain
might be related to the heart. I call
emergency services. They come.
An EKG shows no heart problem.
Thankfully.

After a fitful night without real sleep
I get up with a woozy head. In slow motion
I do the thing I usually do, even showering.
Then it happens, I fall. Rarely falling and
always able to recover, this is new.
Again a nine one one call.

Skipping lunch, I rest. Late afternoon,
I fall again, I crawl to the phone
and again call the EMTs. They insist
I must now go to the hospital,
no time to put shoes on, siren blaring,
red lights shining and ambulance
speeding, I sense seriousness.

In emergency room a cadre of nurses
and other health workers prod, poke
and take vials of blood. Then to a fifth
floor room with two walls of picture
windows over looking Vineyard Sound.
For five days the medical professionals work
making magic, bottom line: a massive
chemical imbalance related to my medicines.
I was not far from the end when I came in.
My medicines are changed and the body
is put back to it's proper default setting.

I'm told the room was that of
the multi-millionaire who gave millions
to build the wing. I wonder if, gods forbid,
they thought my last days should be with
this beautiful vista.

I leave the hospital for a rehabilitation center.


I circled in red the room I was in. 


2 comments:

  1. Oh Jack, I’m so glad you’re out of the hospital and wiSh you speedy recovery to full strength. Barb b

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds as though you are getting excellent care. Get well soon!

    ReplyDelete