Thursday, August 31, 2017

Teacher's Reward

Teacher's Reward

At Wagner High School I taught World History.
Each December, homerooms competed
for the honor of the best holiday decorations.
The class worked hard, I gave advice,
but left all the work to them.
I would be away at a teachers' meeting
during the critical last days and during
the judging by art teachers from several schools.

Back from the meeting I was happy to find
that the class had won first place.
As it happened, in January I would stop
teaching the class. I was assigned
to be Assistant Principal at another school.

My last day with the class arrived.
My fantastic twenty nine scholars
were bubbling with excitement.
They had a surprise. When the class
had all come in, one of the kids
stood up, the class had something to say.

I was presented with a silver mug, engraved
with “Homeroom 1968 to Mr. D.”. They had received
ten dollars as the prize winner of the room decorating
contest. They bought the mug, and explained
ten dollars wasn't enough to inscribe my whole name.

I have the mug still after all these years.
It is among my most valued possession.



"a silver mug"

2 comments: