Sunday, July 30, 2017

Then and -- Now

Then and
    Now

I had to have that madras shirt,
   I want a shirt with most of its buttons.

I had to have a crease in my pants,
   I want trousers with no obvious stains.

I had to read a book while still on the best seller list,
   I want a book with not too small print.

I had to visit places no one else had seen,
   I want a place with a decent hotel.

I had to eat the best part of the lobster,
   I want a peanut butter sandwich.

I had to stay up to watch SNL,
   I want to go to bed by ten.

I had to have a hair cut weekly,
   I want the hair not in my eyes.

Do I care less
   or care more
      about other things.




(Madras shirts were the in thing 60 plus years ago. A characteristic of Madras cotton is that it fades a bit with each washing. This was a considered a good thing. It is akin to the current fad of young people wearing distressed and damaged dungarees.)

1 comment: