Sunday, September 29, 2019

An Annual Headache



An Annual Headache

September is the month my car
has its state safety check.
It's twenty years old,
will it pass? I worry.

If it doesn't pass what should I do?
If it's a cheap repair, OK, but if it's
costly, should I bother? It's not cheap
keeping a car. There's annual excise tax,
registration fee, inspection fee, insurance,
maintenance and fuel.

Without a car I can get to places
by the Senior Center van or by taxis.
But there's freedom and convenience
of knowing when I hanker for a chocolate
doughnut and coffee at Dunkin' Donuts,
I can easily have them.

At the garage, with a smile
I ask the mechanic to do
the required inspection and to
change the oil. I sit in the lobby
watching the work being done
on the closed circuit T V.

The mechanic in due time come
to tell me – everything's done,
all is a fine!
The car is legal for another year,
I'm content.



No comments:

Post a Comment