Saturday, June 15, 2019

An Old Man's Rambling


An Old Man's Rambling

At two in the morning I am woken
by a painful left wrist, agonizing in itself,
more so when I try to use it.
When I get up, I find the hand,
my dominant hand, is of little use.

I'm old and I'm handicapped.
Able to have only one hand
on the wheel, driving isn't something
I should do. With prescriptions to
pick up, I call my sisters who
come and take me to the pharmacy.
A problem solved.

In my ninth decade,
there's a worry that every ache
has a more profound reason.
Quickly to the computer, I search
for “wrist pain” on the internet.
A relief, this pain is just plain pain.
Some helpful hints and a prognosis-
without further aggravation- it will
last about two day.

Nine out of ten times the body heals itself.
It's that one time that has a wider implication.
This time it was one of the nine.

That one in ten is yet to come.



3 comments:

  1. Jack, you were in Asia as long as I was, if not longer. Have you tried acupuncture for the pain? I’m a firm believer in it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pain left as the internet said, about two days later.

    ReplyDelete