Saturday, April 1, 2017

Commune with Nature

A fantasy poem-

Commune with Nature

Walking in the woods near Green Pond,
I trip on a gnarly pine limb and skin my knee.
Blood drips down my leg, I bandage it
with my dirty handkerchief. With a painful
gait I limp on. I step and slip on the droppings
of a raccoon or other such vermin.
Quickly thinking I grab a close by sapling,
skinning my palm, but I'm saved from another fall.
An unseen skunk with its repugnant warning,
sends me down a different path.

There stands a turkey hen with her brood,
all pecking at the littered ground.
She looks up at me and then at her fledglings.
Suddenly she spreads her wings, points her head
at me, gives a wild, curdling call and charges me.
I limp backward in pain then fall and hit
my head of a oak branch. Picking up a stick,
I shout swinging my weapon. She retreat
with her progeny.

With knee aching, blood trickling down
my leg, body fluids oozing from my
hand and throbbing head, I limp to the car.

Ah, to commune with nature and her wonders,
on a fine spring day.
I'll come again next weekend.

picture from web

2 comments: